Old Kirton
000cover.tiff

Welcome to Old Kirton and Falkenham!

001.tiff

Bucklesham Road looking south with “the new houses” built by Stanley Farthing between the late 1930s and the 1950s.

002.tiff

Beech Tree Cottages south of Kirton Brook Reservoir and east of the Splash. Demolished in the 1970s.

003.tiff

Plum Tree Cottage in the foreground and beyond, The Greyhound Inn which closed on 31st December 1962.

004.tiff

Looking North to The Greyhound with Dick Rivett in the foregrouind. On the right is an old WW1 hut which was lived in by several families over the years – the last resident was Mr Musk. From a set of 1940s postcards.

005.tiff

The Greyhound for sale with the new houses already built in the garden. Post-lady Bessy Read cycling by.

006.tiff

006.tiff

007.tiff

1 Highfield Cottages, Bucklesham Road. Mr Knight’s greengrocer’s shop with a tiled roof in the garden.

008.tiff

Blue Barn Cottages in the field behind Ashwell Cottage. Burnt down early 1940s and never replaced. Now the paddock of the converted barn.

009.tiff

The old Police Station at the corner of Bucklesham Road and Park Lane. Now called Blue Barn Cottage.

010.tiff

12 Park Lane - members of the Rivett family at the gate.

011.tiff

Cherry Tree Cottages – demolished to make way for new houses 27–37 Bucklesham Road.

012.tiff

Snowdon Cottages – demolished to make way for new houses 27–37 Bucklesham Road.

013.tiff

Ivy Cottages – demolished to make way for new houses 27–37 Bucklesham Road.

014.tiff

Rose Lodge and the shop known as Harmers.

015.tiff

The shop known as Harmers and more recently Clarksons (The Spar Shop) – altered into residential use in the 1990s.

016.tiff

Rose Cottage behind Rose Lodge c1920 with Granny and Bebe Cook.

017.tiff

An early 1900s view of the Kirton White Horse – landlord Samson Gildersleeves.

018.tiff

The Forge c1908 with Fred Randall the Blacksmith and the White Horse beyond.

019.tiff

Another view of the Forge – the middle cottage demolished for a new house in the 1970s – and the Saddlery on the right.

020.tiff

A close-up of the Kirton Co-op on the Green.

021.tiff

Kirton Co-op

022.tiff

Viking Antiques, successor to the Co-op before conversion to a house.

023.tiff

Mr Boothroyd at the previous location of Viking Antiques on the site of an old petrol station. Later became a saddlery and is now occupied by Best Windings

024.tiff

A 1935 view down Falkenham Road with Fernside, Well and May Cottages on the left. Nut-tree Cottage on the right was demolished in the 1950s and is now 1 Oakdene.

025.tiff

Falkenham Road with Richmond House, Briar and Dweeney Cottages on left and Irene and Jessie Cottages on right. A fish & chip shop was operated by Mr Makins alongside Richmond House.

026.tiff

The Post Office, once owned by Mrs Porter who baked bread to order daily.

027.tiff

Pear Tree Cottages opposite the Village Hall,. Demolished in the 1970s to make way for Gray’s Orchard.

028.tiff

The opening of the Village Hall in 1908.

029.tiff

Falkenham Congregational Chapel – demolished in 1982 to make way for Collimer House. Next door another house demolished for the Manse and beyond, Carrier’s Cottage.

030.tiff

Falkenham Corner showing the Congregational Chapel in the right middle distance and in front, a pair of cottages once occupied by Horrie Keeble senior and Bert Wright. Demolished to make way for Quarterlands.

031.tiff

Back Road – The Wheelwright’s where Mr Eley also performed the roles of carpenter, decorator and undertaker.

032.tiff

View along Back Road, beyond The Wheelwright’s.

033.tiff

Thirza Cottage c1923 Mrs Runnicles and her daughter Joan (became Mrs Cone)

034.tiff

Houses at the top of Rectory Lane – all built by Stanley Farthing in the 1930s.

035.tiff

Houses at the bottom of Rectory Lane – all built by Stanley Farthing in the 1930s.

036.tiff

Robert Farthing (father of Stanley) in the garden of Sidney – the first of many houses Stanley was to build in Kirton.

037.tiff

Keeper’s Cottage opposite the church - believed to be the oldest house in Kirton.

038.tiff

Keeper’s Cottage

039.tiff

A view down Church Lane with The Poplars and Poacher’s and Win(d)sor Cottages beyond

040.tiff

Innocence Cottages – Mrs Farthing and children Wallace, Doris and Aggie.

041.tiff

Trimley St Martin School with Kirton Mill in the background (1905)

042.tiff

A closer view of the Mill prior to its conversion to a house by Mr & Mrs Hewitt.

043.tiff

An atmospheric view of Sluice Cottages overlooking Kirton Creek – demolished in 1975.

044.tiff

Kirton Lodge, residence of the Paul family.

045.tiff

Looking out to the Deben over Kirton Creek, with an old RAF Regiment Sentry Hut on the right – evidence of wartime decoy site. In the Creek lies the hulk of The Three Sisters – a barge scuttled in 1922

090.tiff

Exterior view of Kirton Church

091.tiff

Interior view of Kirton Church

092.tiff

An unusual perspective of Kirton Church from Kemp’s Farm

105.tiff

Falkenham: L – Fisher’s Cottage, one of the oldest houses on the peninsula, and Lodge Cottage on the right.

106.tiff

A house known as The Thatch along the track to the side of Sink Cottages. Burnt down 1940 and now Salix House garden.

107.tiff

The Falkenham Dog – now a house.

108.tiff

The Falkenham Dog

112.tiff

Falkenham Church (St Ethelbert) through the trees.

113.tiff

Falkenham Church interior

119.tiff

Kirton Methodist church